Saturday, March 18, 2006

I had laryngitis this week, but I'm not gonna die

I started feeling sick, oh, about 9 or 10 days ago. I got up early last Saturday to go to work (yeah, work... on Saturday). Anyways, I got up, showered, read the paper, got ready and left the house. My wife and son were still in bed, and I wasn't in the mood to sing. I went to Tim Horton's (I needed my Roll Up to Win), went in, stood in line, went up to the counter and said..... nothing. I couldn't speak... nothing but air! I'd never had laryngitis before. I haven't sounded like hell now for about a week. My voice is just coming back to life now.

I just looked up laryngitis on the net and was happy to see that it won't likely kill me.

Mortality/Morbidity: Because acute laryngitis is usually self-limited and treated with conservative measures, significant morbidity and mortality are not encountered. Patients who develop acute laryngitis from an infectious etiology rather than vocal trauma may ultimately injure their vocal folds. The deficient voice production in patients with acute laryngitis may result in application of a greater adduction force or tension to compensate for the incomplete glottic closure during an acute laryngitic episode. This tension further strains the vocal folds and decreases voice production, ultimately delaying return of normal phonation.


Whew!