Friday, October 14, 2005

Heckle Flashback

One of Moncton's local radio stations, C103, was soliciting the best listener "heckle" to give a pair of tickets to the Just for Laughs Comedy Tour. It reminded me of the best heckle I'd ever heard.

I was on convention in Toronto many, many moons ago, and they had hired a comedian to entertain the crowd during dinner. The guy bombed BIG TIME. He was doing impressions of US-based politicians; and while he was quite good at it, us Canadians were simply not finding the desired humour in it. Folks started to talk amongst themselves and some jeered and heckled the guy. He finally turned to the audience and said something like,"Hey, you guys. I'm getting paid to to this gig, so I'm going to stay here until my time is up. We may as well enjoy it. I'm an impressionist... I can do ANY impression. Tell me what you want to see."

Some guy in the back yelled, "Do a comedian!"

I almost cracked a rib, laughing so hard... the comedian melted into a puddle on the middle of the stage.