Monday, June 05, 2006

What's black and blue and floats in the harbour?

Recently, I've been witness to a debate on Steel White Table over the use of the term "Newfie". I posted about the use of this term on a couple of occasions (here and here). As indicated there , I had always been ok with the use of the word as long as someone wasn't using it in a malicious way. I've only come across a few rude people in my life who used it in this way, and I've come across a few more (all Quebecers) who use the term to mean "a stupid person". One such person never even knew that the term had anything to do with Newfoundland. I'm secure enough to ignore them or embarrass them right back, depending on my mood.

I came across another blog recently that, for some reason, changed my perspective on the term. No new arguments or anything... maybe just a little more history and maybe he just wrote it so well. But now, I'm converted. His post is worth reading. Check it out here.

I won't be so tolerant of Newfie jokes going forward. But I'll leave you with one now:

What's black and blue and floats in the harbour? A mainlander who told too many Newfie jokes.