Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The great touton debate of 2005


My friends at Steel White Table posted a video on how to cook toutons. This was a very informal and entertaining video that was a fine (yet slightly inaccurate, despite the presence of a Newfoundlander) tribute to a local delicacy. I responded with a post, offering my personal insight regarding the subtle inaccuracies, and spawned a debate over the use of the term Newfie.

It seems as if many people are passionate about the fair treatment of their fellow human beings, even when those treated unfairly are oblivious that they are contributing to the ridicule and injustices aimed their way. I was overwhelmed at the emotional response the term "Newfie" received. I didn't necessarily agree with the seriousness of the debate, but I was flattered and warmed by it regardless. Newfoundlanders have been the butt of many jokes, and it is nice to be rejoiced and defended all at once by someone who simply recognizes the contribution Newfoundland culture makes to the world.

Thank you Phillip (seriously). I can't wait to see your video on how to cook a jigg's dinner! I promise I'll not post a comment. :-)

(Just try to avoid tributes to Polish or Pakistani cuisine!)