Saturday, December 17, 2005

'Tis the season to be stupid

What a freakin' day...

It snowed last night. Just a few centimeters, but it rained a little and I wanted to clean it up before it froze solid. Well, I usually clean up my neighbour's driveway while I am out there. Doing their driveway, I figured I'd scoot my snowblower across their walkway as well. They live in a duplex and share a walkway with their neighbour. I didn't feel right stopping halfway across the walkway so I went all the way across. Well, my neighbour's neighbour has these plastic candycanes lining her walkway. I didn't realize that they were "light-up" candycanes. Under the snow was a network of extension cords and Christmas lights. Not for long. The candycanes disappeared into my snowblower faster than you can say "Merry Christmas". Shit. Stupid event number one.

So... I figure I should go and pick up some replacement candycanes. (The lady wasn't home, and I was hoping to have the replacement ones before she got back.) I finish up my driveway, and go into the house to get ready. I wanted to trade my winter jacket for my leather jacket. I had just gotten back from a business trip to Detroit yesterday and there was some stuff in my pockets. What's this? A set of keys? Oh shit... shit! The keys to the rental car! I returned the rental to the airport, full of gas, neatly parked... but forgot to return the keys! Stupid event number 2. (By the way, National Car Rental graciously accepted my explanation and closed out my contract as if I had returned the car normally the day before! Now THAT'S customer service. All I have to do is courier the keys out to them.)

They say these things come in threes... Waiting for stupid event number 3 ruined my day... 11 minutes to midnight... gulp!